I'm an Associate Professor working on cryptography in the Department of Combinatorics & Optimization at the University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. My research focuses on improving the security of Internet cryptography protocols such as SSL/TLS and SSH, and developing practical quantum-resistant cryptosystems.
My research interests include:
- Applied cryptography: key exchange protocols; post-quantum cryptography; digital signatures; public key encryption; client puzzles / proofs of work; elliptic curve cryptography; quantum cryptography
- Internet security: network security protocols (SSL/TLS, SSH, Tor, …); public key infrastructure (PKI); authentication
P. Gauravaram, S. Hirose, D. Stebila. In ATIS 2017.
N. Bindel, U. Herath, M. McKague, D. Stebila. In PQCrypto 2017.
K. Cohn-Gordon, C. Cremers, B. Dowling, L. Garratt, D. Stebila. In IEEE EuroS&P 2017.
J.M. Schanck, D. Stebila. Internet-Draft, April 2017.
I'm fortunate to be able to travel a lot. I take lots of pictures on my trips. The best of my photos are posted in my galleries. My most recent galleres are:
I have a blog. I have not been very good at updating it lately, but here are my most recent posts:
- 2017-08-28: Crypto 2017 conference report
- 2015-12-03: Visiting Hobbiton
- 2014-10-19: Hiking in Trondheim
- 2014-09-14: Northern lights in Trondheim
- 2014-08-03: Seeing planes in Seattle