My name is Douglas Stebila. I’m a Senior Lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology and recently completed my PhD in mathematics at the University of Waterloo. My interests include cryptography, computer security, mathematics, music, running, photography, and travel.
I maintain a blog that I try to update relatively frequently (though sometimes fail to do so!).
I currently work at the Queensland University of Technology as a Senior Lecturer jointly appointed in the School of Mathematical Sciences and the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. My research focuses on cryptography, Internet security, and quantum cryptography.
A full list of my research publications is available. My most recent papers are:
- Multi-ciphersuite security and the SSH protocol. Benjamin Dowling, Florian Giesen, Florian Kohlar, Jörg Schwenk, Douglas Stebila. November, 2013.
- Publicly verifiable ciphertexts. Juan González Nieto, Mark Manulis, Bertram Poettering, Jothi Rangasamy, Douglas Stebila. Journal of Computer Security, 21(5):749–778, 2013.
- On the security of TLS renegotiation. Florian Giesen, Florian Kohlar, Douglas Stebila. In Proc. ACM CCS 2013. ACM, 2013.
- ASICS: Authenticated key exchange security incorporating certification systems. Colin Boyd, Cas Cremers, Michèle Feltz, Kenneth G. Paterson, Bertram Poettering, Douglas Stebila. In Proc. ESORICS 2013, LNCS, vol. 8134. Springer, 2013.
- Quantum one-time programs. Anne Broadbent, Gus Gutoski, Douglas Stebila. In Proc. CRYPTO 2013, LNCS, vol. 8043. Springer, 2013.
I completed my PhD in the Department of Combinatorics and Optimization at the University of Waterloo in 2009. My thesis was entitled Classical Authenticated Key Exchange and Quantum Cryptography.
I completed a MSc in Mathematics and Foundations of Computer Science at Pembroke College, University of Oxford, in 2004, and an Honours BMath (Co-op) in Combinatorics & Optimization and Computer Science at St. Jerome’s University in the University of Waterloo in 2003.
For information about courses I’ve taken, papers I’ve written, extracurricular activities, and other school-related materials, visit my school page.
I travel a lot and take lots of pictures on my trips. The best of my photos are posted online. My newest galleres are:
If you’d like to email me, my email address is
first_name is my first name and
last_name is my last name. (I’m not spelling it out directly because I don’t want to get spammed.)
My PGP/GPG public key has key ID 0x35A2F17C7C8B45E2 and fingerprint 2ADA 9B8D A02C 2977 D998 FFAA 35A2 F17C 7C8B 45E2.