My name is Douglas Stebila. I’m a Senior Lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology and recently completed my PhD in mathematics at the University of Waterloo. My interests include cryptography, computer security, mathematics, music, running, photography, and travel.
I maintain a blog that I try to update relatively frequently (though sometimes fail to do so!).
I currently work at the Queensland University of Technology as a Senior Lecturer jointly appointed in the School of Mathematical Sciences and the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. My research focuses on cryptography, Internet security, and quantum cryptography.
A full list of my research publications is available. My most recent papers are:
- Protecting encrypted cookies from compression side-channel attacks. Janaka Alawatugoda, Douglas Stebila, Colin Boyd. In Proc. FC 2015, LNCS. Springer, 2015.
- Hierarchical deterministic Bitcoin wallets that tolerate key leakage (short paper). Gus Gutoski, Douglas Stebila. In Proc. FC 2015, LNCS. Springer, 2015.
- Secure modular password authentication for the web using channel bindings. Mark Manulis, Douglas Stebila, Nick Denham. In Proc. SSR 2014, LNCS. Springer, 2014.
- Multi-ciphersuite security of the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol. Florian Bergsma, Benjamin Dowling, Florian Kohlar, Jörg Schwenk, Douglas Stebila. In Proc. ACM CCS 2014. ACM, 2014.
- Post-quantum key exchange for the TLS protocol from the ring learning with errors problem. Joppe W. Bos, Craig Costello, Michael Naehrig, Douglas Stebila. August, 2014.
I completed my PhD in the Department of Combinatorics and Optimization at the University of Waterloo in 2009. My thesis was entitled Classical Authenticated Key Exchange and Quantum Cryptography.
I completed a MSc in Mathematics and Foundations of Computer Science at Pembroke College, University of Oxford, in 2004, and an Honours BMath (Co-op) in Combinatorics & Optimization and Computer Science at St. Jerome’s University in the University of Waterloo in 2003.
For information about courses I’ve taken, papers I’ve written, extracurricular activities, and other school-related materials, visit my school page.
I travel a lot and take lots of pictures on my trips. The best of my photos are posted online. My newest galleres are:
If you’d like to email me, my email address is
first_name is my first name and
last_name is my last name. (I’m not spelling it out directly because I don’t want to get spammed.)
My PGP/GPG public key has key ID 0x35A2F17C7C8B45E2 and fingerprint 2ADA 9B8D A02C 2977 D998 FFAA 35A2 F17C 7C8B 45E2.