Working with me
- Postdoctoral researchers: I have no postdoctoral research positions available. Any positions will be listed here and advertised on the IACR jobs page.
- PhD students: I am not planning to take on any new PhD students in Fall 2018 or Winter 2019. Students seeking admission for Fall 2019 should check out information on the Faculty of Mathematics’ website. I can supervise/co-supervise students in the C&O and CS departments. Please also see below about what I look for in graduate students.
- Master’s (thesis) students: I am not planning to take on any new PhD students in Fall 2018 or Winter 2019. Students seeking admission for Fall 2019 should check out information on the Faculty of Mathematics’ website. I can supervise/co-supervise students in the C&O and CS departments. Please also see below about what I look for in graduate students.
- Undergraduate students: I will be considering applications for students for the Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA/USRA) program for Spring 2019. Please see information on the C&O department website; the deadline for Spring 2019 is December 1, 2018. I do not have any other type of research assistantship or internship available.
What I look for in graduate students: The research projects I supervise are in cryptography, and generally involve the “provable security” / “reductionist security” methodology. Please check out my research interests and publications to get an idea of what areas of cryptography I work on. Generally I look for students with an undergraduate background in mathematics or theoretical computer science. It is essential to have studied cryptography at the undergraduate level, and highly preferable to have studied several of the following: number theory (3rd year or above); group theory; theory of computing (Turing machines etc.); computational complexity theory; quantum computing. Ideally students will also have some programming proficiency; Python and C are commonly used general-purpose languages in cryptography.
Current students and post-docs
I am supervising the following postdoctoral researchers:
- Håkon Jacobsen
I am supervising the following PhD students:
- Udyani Herath
- Moe Sabry
I am supervising the following Master’s (thesis) students:
- Fletcher Gates
- Brian Goncalves
- Robert Gorrie
- Karl Knopf
I have supervised the following postdoctoral researchers:
- Praveen Gauravaram
- Choudary Gorantla
- Zia Khan
I have supervised the following PhD students:
- Ben Dowling (PhD 2017) – Provable security of Internet protocols
- Janaka Alawatugoda (PhD 2015) – On the leakage resilience of secure channel establishment
- Lakshmi Devi Kuppusamy (PhD 2012) – Modelling client puzzles and denial-of-service resistant protocols
- Reza Hassanzadeh (PhD 2014) (associate supervisor) – Anomaly detection in online social networks: using data-mining techniques and fuzzy logic
- Jothi Ramalingam Rangsamy (PhD 2012) (associate supervisor) – Cryptographic techniques for managing computational effort